Assistant Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering
- 2017, Doctoral Degree, Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 2014, Master's Degree, Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 2011, Bachelor's Degree, Precision Instrument, Tsinghua University
Hangbo Zhao joined the Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering at USC as an Assistant Professor in 2020. Hangbo received his Ph.D. and M.S. degrees in mechanical engineering at MIT in 2017 and 2014, respectively. He received his bachelor’s degree in precision instruments at Tsinghua University in 2011. From 2017 to 2019 he worked as a postdoctoral fellow in the Center for Bio-Integrated Electronics at Northwestern University.
Hangbo's group works at the intersection of advanced manufacturing, materials, and applied mechanics. The group aims to advance the science and technology of manufacturing through a combination of fundamental understanding of materials, mechanics, interfacial science, and multidisciplinary experimental approaches. Hangbo's focus areas include micro/nano manufacturing, bio-integrated electronics, mechanically guided assembly, and engineered surfaces/interfaces.
- 2023 Office of Naval Research ONR Young Investigator Award
- 2023 SME Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award
- 2021 Charles Lee Powell Faculty Research Award
- 2021 ASME Haythornthwaite Foundation Research Initiation Award
- 2020 Office of Naval Research DURIP Award
- 2015 International Conference of the Polymer Processing Society Outstanding Poster Award
- 2014 Materials Research Society Best Poster Award
- 2011 Tsinghua University Excellent Graduates Award
- 2009 China National Scholarship